Accepting applications for a Technician positions in Prof. Nicola Elvassore’s lab in the Shanghai Institute for Advanced Immunochemical Studies (SIAIS) at Shanghaitech University.
In our lab, we work at the interface between biology and engineering. We design and develop innovative integrative micro-technologies and use them for the study of human cells. Our lab environment is interdisciplinary and international.
We have one open position for a technician, focused on lab management and administration.
1. One of the following:
a. A master degree or PhD in one of the following majors: Biology, Biotechnology or similar;
b. A bachelor degree in one of the following majors: Biology, Biotechnology or similar AND a minimum two-year working experience in research centers or private companies.
2. Excellent ability at self-organization and time management.
3. Excellent communication and writing skills in English.
The main responsibilities of this position are taking care of all the administrative aspects of the lab as instructed, and organizing lab materials and space in an efficient way. Main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Purchase of consumable materials. This task includes:
a. order online specific products as instructed;
b. help other people in the lab to find specific materials: find a company for a specific product, or contact a specific company to get customized solutions;
c. take care of material importation procedures for items bought from abroad;
d. keep track of materials ordered and arrived, annotating their lot number (for critical products) and storage position;
e. common material of the lab: make sure not to go out of stock of products used routinely by multiple people in the lab.
2. Organize material storage. This task includes:
a. store different products according to safety and storage instructions;
b. keep track of products arrived and finished, and of their position in the lab.
3. Purchase of equipment. This task includes:
a. ask different companies for quotation (in case of large equipment, at least three companies' competitive quotations are required) and equipment customization;
b. bid the quotations;
c. apply online for purchase authorization, and make the prepayment;
d. receive the package and organize the equipment setup;
e. register the equipment with the equipment department.
4. Equipment maintenance. In case of need, contact the relevant company to perform equipment maintenance, fix any problem or exchange the piece of equipment.
5. Translate some documents from Chinese to English and vice versa. Examples of documents are application forms, contracts, or research projects.
6. Pay online the salary of the lab students.
7. Material expeditions. Organize the sending and receiving of packages, taking care also of special conditions, like dry-ice packages or international expeditions.
8. Instruct the other people in the lab about the lab organization procedures.
9. Interact with other labs or platforms in the institute in case of need.
Please email a CV and two letters of reference in English, directly sent to email@example.com (cc: firstname.lastname@example.org)